[Previous entry: "More graves for the democide count"] [Main Index] [Next entry: "Democrats and our guns"]
12/18/2005 Archived Entry: "Space X launch"
TAKE ME OUT TO THE BLACK (AND STAY IN THE BLACK WHILE DOING IT)
Raving Reporter Thunder here.
We all remember SpaceShipOne's historic flight, becoming the first private manned flight into space and the first to be ready to launch again just a week or so later. Well, there's a new kid in town......
The World's Lowest Cost Rocket to Orbit will be launched December 19th at 11AM PST.
* It will be the first privately developed, liquid fueled rocket to reach orbit and the world's first all new orbital rocket in over a decade.
* The main engine of Falcon 1 (Merlin) will be the first all new American hydrocarbon engine for an orbital booster to be flown in forty years and only the second new American booster engine of any kind in twenty-five years.
* The Falcon 1 is the only rocket flying 21st century avionics, which require a small fraction of the power and mass of other systems.
* It will be the world's only semi-reusable orbital rocket apart from the Shuttle.
* Most importantly, Falcon 1, priced at $6.7 million, will provide the lowest cost per flight to orbit of any launch vehicle in the world, despite receiving a design reliability rating equivalent to that of the best launch vehicles currently flying in the United States.
We didn't need the confirmation that a private venture could do it better and cheaper than a government. We already knew that. But it sure is nice to see it proven publicly every once in a while.
Posted by Thunder @ 09:27 PM CST