- 15 1215 - King John forced to accept Magna Carta, greatly restricting the power of the State.
- 16 1933 - United States establishes socialist government ('New Deal').
- 22 1847 - Doughnut created by police officer (OK, I made up the part about the cop).
- 24 1842 - Ambrose Bierce born.
- 25 1903 - George Orwell born.
- 30 1801 - Claude Frédéric Bastiat born.
- 2 1776 - Continental Congress votes for independence of the United Colonies. (Note that this is the actual 'Independence Day.')
- 4 1776- Declaration of Independence approved. (So the Fourth of July merely celebrates the approval of a document.)
- 7 1907- SF writer Robert A. Heinlein born.
- 8 1776- Liberty Bell rung in Philadelphia to summon citizens to the first public reading of the Declaration of Independence.
- 11 1804 - Aaron Burr rids us of Alexander Hamilton in a duel.
- 12 1817-Naturalist/writer Henry David Thoreau born.
- 13 1863 - New York City Draft Riots to protest the First Conscription Act. (So someone didn't miss the irony of supposedly fighting slavery by enslaving soldiers.)
- 14 1789 - Storming of the Bastille in France.
Comment on this article
View all comments on this article
Support Doing Freedom!
to arrange other form of donation.
(cash, check, money order, computer gear, etc.)