- 15 1776 - Continental Congress denounces all allegiance to George III.
- 17 1887 - Libertarian theorist, journalist, and private postmaster Lysander Spooner dies.
- 23 1861 - Virginia citizens vote 3 to 1 in favor of secession.
- 25 1787 - Constitutional Convention begins, immediately hijacked to dump Articles and draft new Constitution in entirety.
- 30 1765 - House of Burgesses passes "Virginia Resolves," asserting right to self-government and to protest the Stamp Act.
- 31 1775 - First local resolution for independence, Mecklenburg, North Carolina, declaring British laws null and void.
- 5 1723- Adam Smith born.
1882- John Maynard Keynes born.
- 6 1978- Tax revolt leads to California referendum on Proposition 13, cutting property taxes 50%.
- 7 1775 - United Colonies change name to United States. Richard Henry Lee submits to Congress a resolution for independence.
- 10 1776 - Continental Congress appoints committee to write Declaration of Independence.
- 11 1776-Thomas Jefferson begins drafting the Declaration of Independence.
- 15 1215 - King John forced to relinquish much central state power by rebels at Runnymede; signs Magna Carta.
Comment on this article
View all comments on this article
Support Doing Freedom!|
to arrange other form of donation.
(cash, check, money order, computer gear, etc.)